Wednesday 9 March 2011

Evaluation - Question 3

What have you learned from your audience feedback?

For part of question 3 of the evaluation, I decided to film two of my fellow classmates discussing my music video.

Below is the clip of the interview





I also got audience feedback when our media studies class held a public screening inviting parents and friends, and different class years to evaluate our music videos. The audience were asked to fill out a small questionnaire containing 8 questions, they had to mark us on a scale of 1 to 4; 1 being the lowest and 4 being the highest. I then went through all the feedback and put the scores onto a graph. From the questionnaires, I had 42 people give me feedback on my music video.


Below are the graphs showing the audience feedback


Key - Scale 1-4 (4 being the highest, 1 being the lowest)
(I then converted the scores into percentages, as shown on the following graphs)

 This graph shows that out of 100%, 50% of the audience gave me a score of 3, 48% scored me 4, and 2% scored me 2 for the question 'How steady were the shots?'. 


This graph shows that out of 100%, 40% of the audience gave me a score of 3, 36% scored me 4, and the remaining 24% scored me 2 for the question 'How varied were the shots?'.


This graph shows that out of 100%, 50% of the audience gave me a score of 3, 31% scored me 2, 14% scored me 4 and 4.8% scored me a 1 for the question 'How varied were the shots?'.


This graph shows that out of 100%, 52.4% gave me a score of 3, 26.2% scored me 4, 19% scored me 2 and 2.4% scored me 1 for the question 'Was the choice of locations appropriate?'.


This graph shows that out of 100%, 62% gave me a score of 3, 29% scored me 4 and the remaining 9.6% scored me 2 for the question 'Was the lighting appropriate?'.


This graph shows that out of 100%, 60% gave me a score of 2, 21% scored me 3, 12% scored me 4 and the remaining 7% scored me 1 for the question 'How clear was the meaning?'.


This graph shows that out of 100%, 55% gave me a score of 4, 35.5% scored me 3 and the remaining 9.5% scored me 2 for the question 'Was there appropriate use of special effects?'.


This graph shows that out of 100%, 52.2% gave me a score of 3, 24% scored me 4, 19% scored me 2 and the remaining 4.8% scored me 1 for the question 'Was there appropriate editing of sound and image, did the film make sense?'.

Some comments given to me from the feedback were as follows:
- "Special effects work well with the filming and music."

- "Very White Stripes"

- "It took me back to the 70s - in a good way!"

- "Not really sure what message was meant to be."

- "The repeated diamond effect notif was very effective."

- "I really loved what they done with the editing it looked really professional but I didn't see a clear meaning or links with lyrics."

My response to feedback

From the above feedback, I feel that I received positive and good reviews. Overall, I received mostly 3s and 4s which I was really pleased with as the scores were out of 4 (4 being the highest). 
I was interested to see what other people thought of my music video, as it is quite unique and not really a conventional video. I wanted to see what the audience's views were and what they thought I could improve on. One of the comments I received was "Not really sure what message was meant to be", I was worried that they may not realise the look I was trying to create. When we held a public screening, we did not explain the style that we were hoping to create, therefore I feel if I was to brief the audience about my video before they watched it, they may have felt different about it. I didn't particularly have a meaning to it, I did not have a narrative which meant the music video did not connect to the lyrics. I was scored a lower score of 1 and 2 to the question "How clear is the meaning?", again I feel that this might be because not everyone knew we did not have to create a narrative. This might also show that my video is not to everyone's musical tastes. If I would of relayed the meaning and intentions first, and mentioned my inspiration then maybe the feedback would be different.

However I did receive a comment saying it was "Very White Stripes", I was very happy to see a comment like this, as my main inspiration for my music video was The White Stripes video 'Seven Nation Army'. Another comment I received was "The repeated diamond effect notif was very effective", I was happy with this comment, as the look I was going for was unconventional to other music videos, I wanted to create a repeated unique special effect. A few other comments I received was that I used to many special effects and no narrative, this was actually what I wanted to create, therefore I felt that this comment was because the audience was not briefed on the look and style of the video.

From analysing my feedback, overall I am very pleased with the comments. I received great scores for the use of my special effects, which I was very happy with. It is clear that in some areas I could of improved on, for example another comment was that there wasn't really a variety of locations, I feel that I could of used different locations more but the overall look I wanted was that the band were performing live on stage and to have the special effects shown throughout the majority of the video. 

I feel that I did create the look I was hoping for and I am pleased with the outcome, the audience feedback was very helpful and showed that there was some areas to improve, one of them being to try and relay the meaning more so it came across clear to the audience.




No comments:

Post a Comment