Thursday 10 March 2011

Evaluation - Question 2

How effective is the combination of your main product and ancillary texts?

For question 2 of the evaluation, I decided to create another video of my music video with my ancillary products included with a voice over of why I feel that they keep parity.

Below is my answer to Question 2.




Below is my script of my voice over that was included in the above video.

Script for voice over

(Beginning)

Hello, I'm Karen Le and this is the video that I created to the song 'Strange Times' by The Black Keys. The Black Keys are an American Blue/Rock music duo, they are quite well known in the UK and to date have sold over 1.7 million records.

'Strange Times' is the first single from The Black Keys' album Attack and Release.

When I chose this song for my music video, I knew I didn't want to include a narrative; this is also sticking to the conventions that the majority of Indie/Rock music videos do not have a narrative. One of my inspirations for creating a video like this was a music duo called The White Stripes with their song 'Seven Nation Army'. They used a continuous colour scheme with special effects throughout the whole video. 
  
( Inset of clip from The White Stripes video 'Seven Nation Army') 

I feel I adopted this technique, using a simple colour scheme of red, white and black. I originally filmed by video on a green screen, so I could edit and create styles to add to my video. The idea was for my video to feel like something was always going on, that your eye had something to always focus on. I feel I accomplished this by using repetition of the shapes reappearing one after the other while having the band also performing in the background. When the band was performing, I wanted the look to come across as if they were performing live on stage. I also wanted the overall look to be special effects, which meant challenging and developing on the conventional ways of an Indie/Rock music video.

(Digi-Pak)

When creating my ancillary products to accompany my video, I felt that I needed to continue the same effect used within my video and keep parity between the three products. I knew to do this, I had to keep the simple colour scheme of red, white and black and include shapes somewhere in my product. I began by researching and experimenting in Adobe Photoshop. After creating simple triangle shapes, I repeated this effect throughout the six panels of my digi-pak. I included a film reel where I used images from my music video to keep effect and show similarity between the video and digi-pak. 

(Magazine Advert)

For the magazine advert, I decided to use the same images that I created whilst designing my digi-pak. The same colour scheme and visual images allowed the products to keep a continuous parity showing impact and effectiveness. I also kept similarity by using the same font styles throughout the digi-pak and magazine advert. I then played around with the positioning of the album cover, text and film reels, then included typical conventions I had noticed throughout conventional magazine advertisements, such as the inclusion of release dates, band websites and reviews from media institutions. 

Overall, my music video and supporting two ancillary products, the digi-pak and magazine advert, I feel show clear strong links to each other by showing a continuous colour scheme, visual style and images that all the products contain. I feel that I achieved the look that I was hoping to create throughout all three products, and that each product keeps parity throughout, creating an overall effective style, which would promote the band successfully. 

(End)     

No comments:

Post a Comment